Tony's "awesome" job

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Apr 30 13:11:00 CDT 2001

> Subject: Tony's "awesome" job
>

> > My employer is a small pharmacy software shop.  They have
> rather strange
> > policies like no vacation at all the first year and like a
> couple of days
> > (as if that's a vacation) the second year.  Also, they
> expect you to work
> > uncompensated overtime nights and weekends, and you're on
> call sometimes,
> > It's especially dismaying that I'm an expectant father and
> I can't take
> > any time off.  Hope they understand when I just plain can't
> come to work
> > for several weeks later this summer.  OTOH, my wife gets 8
> weeks paid
> > maternity leave and 3 weeks vacation/yr.  I guess you have
> to hang around
> > a job for a while before getting any benefits.
>
> Check into your rights under the federal Family and Medical
> Leave Act.  If
> they don't let you take off for the birth of your child, they
> could be in
> violation.

Yes,

   They have to give  him the time off. But, [read the fine print] they
don't have to pay him for that time.

P.S. Tony : Thanks for making my day. The pay at my job sucks, I am working
ridiculously long days to meet a deadline (uncompensated, although I can
take some comp time if I want), and the drive is too long. But at least I'm
appreciated and the people are great. So I guess that makes me luckier than
some.