Windows Media Player for Linux - in Prague

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Sun Apr 29 20:04:00 CDT 2001

My employer is a small pharmacy software shop.  They have rather strange
policies like no vacation at all the first year and like a couple of days
(as if that's a vacation) the second year.  Also, they expect you to work
uncompensated overtime nights and weekends, and you're on call sometimes,
too.  And being a private company, when you bust your ass getting something
working, the only person that sees any economic benefit is the boss.  It's
not a good arrangement.  Funny how people keep leaving...

BTW, they're looking to hire more suckers^Wprogrammers, anyone interested??
The pay is about average.

It's especially dismaying that I'm an expectant father and I can't take
any time off.  Hope they understand when I just plain can't come to work
for several weeks later this summer.  OTOH, my wife gets 8 weeks paid
maternity leave and 3 weeks vacation/yr.  I guess you have to hang around
a job for a while before getting any benefits.

So, no, there isn't anything really great about the company.  I am trying
to get them to switch OSes from SCO to Linux, somewhat successfully.  I'm
getting them slowly hooked on Free software bit by bit.  Next step is to
go from their propreitary BTrieve on SCO kludge-bastardized-hybrid issue
tracking system to Apache/MySQL/PHP on windoze then to Linux for their
intranet stuff (once I get a Linux box in-house).

Wish me luck.