Libranet

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Apr 27 19:24:05 CDT 2001

>> Right now I'm just looking at the various distributions. I was
>> wondering if I could install the basic Linux OS onto the first
>> partition and the remaining goodies (like mailer, editors, news
>> readers) onto a second partition like I had for OS/2?
> Anyway, the short answer, for the most part, is no.

Well, actually the answer to his question is yes, For the most part.
If you install the following directories on one partition:

/
/bin
/sbin
/boot.

Then you should only get programs on that partition that are part of the OS,
granted some programs like to install themselves in the /bin directory, but
that is bad behavior. Most "user" programs go into the /usr or /opt trees.

Brian Densmore
Associate
densmoreb at ctbsonline.com
CompuTech Business Solutions, Inc.