SNMP and mrtg

Eric Rossiter rossiter at discoverynet.com
Wed Apr 25 15:14:57 CDT 2001

From: mike neuliep <mike at illiana.net>

> use /usr/bin/mrtg wherever I said to use /usr/local/bin/mrtg
> The mrtg are in a different spot in your system.

Did that.

> Using the IP address of the router was correct!
>
> Where is document root located for your webserver.  Wherever that is,
> you'll want to substitute /var/www/ with that directory instead.

Ok, call me stupid, I don't understand what you are asking me when you say
"where is document root".  The files router.html, and router.cfg are in
/var/www/mrtg.

> Run crontab -e as root, not as eric.  With these minor modifications you
should
> be up and running.  I'd only run mrtg on the redhat server youhave now and
not
> on the other box.  This is mainly so us lug members can better support
you.

> Let me know what happens next...

If I open a browser and enter " http://backup/mrtg/router.html " or any
variation there of, for example:
" http://backup/www/mrtg/router.html "
" http://backup/var/www/mrtg/router.html "
I get " Not Found The requested URL was not found on this server. "

But, if I enter " file:///var/www/mrtg/router.html " the page opens fine
showing me 9 differnet graphs, none of which are doing anything yet, but I'm
being patient.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

TIA,

Eric