SNMP and mrtg

mike neuliep mike at illiana.net
Tue Apr 24 18:38:21 CDT 2001

Hi Eric,

This is actually easy!  It is a five step process:

1) build an mrtg config for your router / switch

	cfgmaker --vendor public at router-ip-address > router.cfg

2) make an html file that a browser will read

	indexmaker router.cfg > router.html

3) add mrtg to cron so it will run every five minutes

	*/5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/mrtg /path/to/router.cfg

4) work some apache / dns magic to make an alias called mrtg.yourdomainname.com
   which points to your router.html file

5) point browser at mrtg.yourdomainname.com

This is the 30000 foot view.  If you tell us specifically where you're getting
stuck we can do a little better job of helping you.  I've done some crazy stuff
at work that I don't think too many people have done before with mrtg, like
sending pages with batteries need to be replaced in UPS units, tracking modem
usage on our shiva lanrover as well as the usual switch port & cpu utilization.

Let me know if I can help...

	Mike Neuliep
	mike at illiana.net
.