Power to the Penguin! (was RE: Novell uptimes)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Apr 23 19:05:02 CDT 2001

> I'll admit, I've only seen one or two Novell servers that had
> problems, but
> problems they did have - they'd suddenly deny access for no
> apparent reason,
> and have to be rebooted.  Or suddenly the permissions would
> get screwy.
>
> And I'll say again: I put two NT 4.0 servers on-line in March
> of 1999, and
> there has been ONE unplanned outage for about fifteen minutes
> on one server.

Well, impressive. You should post your machine to some of the internet
uptime counters. You have the only NT that I have ever seen stay up that
long. It is a tribute to your group's skill/luck in keeping your machine up
for so long.

> I'd call two years pretty good uptime.
You can't say it has been up for 2 years if it went down once.

[flamebait follows, read at your own risk]

However, you mention unplanned downtime. I presume you have done some
upgrades to the software in that time period? Too bad you can't install
software without rebooting like in Linux. ;')>

Penguin powered,
Brian

[ps. got nothing against Novell (except this is a Linux list), stable OS
when properly configured; paperweight when not]