No subject

Jim Bradley jbradley at classicnet.net
Thu Apr 19 23:26:25 CDT 2001

On Thursday 19 April 2001 11:12, you wrote:
> Forwarded from/for Tom Margrave,
>
> 2.  I will have a need for a hub /switch  I was think
> about Linksys BEFW11S4 - EtherFast Wireless AP +
> Cable/DSL Router w/ 4-Port Switch at www.linksys.com.
> (buy.com has it for $248.95) Any Comments or
> suggestions?

If you have an old 486 or 386 with a numeric coprocessor, and at least 12 Mb
of RAM, you can easily setup a router with Coyote Linux
(http://www.coyotelinux.com). The machine boots from floppy only, so you
don't need (and won't use a hard drive). You will still need a hub if you
have more than a couple of machines to connect, but it is definately a lower
cost solution than the wireless router/hub. It would require wiring the
machines, though.