System Map

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Thu Apr 12 01:11:35 CDT 2001

Gene,

Yes, just make _absolutely_ sure you start from a
clean/empty tree using "make mrproper".  Then make
sure you have the correct configuration selected.  The
System.map is a companion to the bzImage and the modules,
although I am not sure that anything you would be doing
would need it.  If you are building the same version of
kernel that is running on the machine you are using to
build, you can mv the /lib/modules/<version> dir out
of the way, and go ahead and do make modules_install.
Then you can just .tgz up that tree, move _it_ out of
the way, and mv the original one back.  I have used this
technique to build multiple kernels, and trees on one
machine before.

Hal Duston
hald at sound.net