debian

Michael Cox michael.cox at honeywell.com
Tue Apr 3 13:51:41 CDT 2001

On Mon, 02 Apr 2001, JD Runyan wrote:

> It's not usability first.  It's marketing.  Red hat has instituted a
> marketing campaign that is so good that the majority of people not in the
> UN*X/Linux world think that it is synonymous with Linux. Usability comes
> next, but most people who install Linux without guidance for the first time
> will go to the local computer/office store, and buy a copy of Red Hat Linux,
> because they know the name.  I have no problems with Red Hat, so don't take
> this as a slam against Red Hat if they make your favorite distro.

My first distro was Red Hat (bought from Linux Central via eBay), probably due
to marketing...I'd never heard of any others back then.  However, as soon as I
found a distro with USB support, I tried that.  I was surprised to find that,
not only did the new distro auto-detect my new USB/PCI card, EVERYTHING seemed
to be detected more accurately, and the system was up faster with less fiddling.

That was an early version of Linux-Mandrake, and it's just gotten better since
then...

--

  .-.          Michael Cox
  /v       Linux user 199542