debian

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Apr 2 19:54:21 CDT 2001

Scott,

>   I don't understand why Debian isn't the most popular distro
> out there,
> since it is by far the most stable. I thought the whole
> reason behind the
> Linux revolution was to get away from Windblows crashing
> every 5 minutes.

  You'd think, but, it's really a matter of usability, or the perception of
usability. It is still very text-based (last I checked). For people with
years of *nix experience it is easy to set-up, configure, and run - or so I
assume. I am relatively new to *nix, and find debian a bit difficult to work
with. Although I have become quite familiar with vi as a result of my
internet server. I prefer to work in graphical environments. Debian is
getting better though. General users are intimidated by command lines. I
would like to see a graphical version of debian, unfortunately the ones I've
seen (Corel and Stormix) aren't very usable. In fact, I have yet to
successfully install any version of Stormix on any PC.

YMMV,
Brian