cat5 for telco lines

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Fri Sep 29 17:37:15 CDT 2000

At 10:34 AM 9/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
>My original idea for my house way that I would run data and voice to each
>room (I currently have neither in some rooms)and do it all in Cat to justify
>buying a roll of the stuff.  Otherwise I end up with a great deal left over
>and nothing to do with it.
>
>Has anyone looked at the price of mod-taps for ethernet?  I looked at the
>lumber yard and the stuff is high, like $5 per tap.  That makes the tap more
>expensive than the wire to get to the room.  I'll need something like
>fourteen of the little mod-tap plugs to do my house the way I want (that's
>two plugs per wall plate, I'm probably using the wrong term, I just look at
>the pictures in the books anyway. heheh).
>Brian

Yep, but if you get them in the bulk packages the prices drops a bit.
That's what I ended up doing.  You might call around, a lot of places will
special order for you and get you a good deal.  Check with some home
builder supply places, as a lot of builders are starting to do Cat5 as part
of their "smart house" wiring features.    It's kind of sparse so far on
what/where/when they do it.  I looked at some $130-140K homes that were
pre-wired with telco/ethernet/coax and then we looked at some that were
$250K+ without even telco.   Go figure eh?

-- Bradley Miller