Broadband

Walter Dunz Zscoundrel at netscape.net
Fri Sep 29 05:38:02 CDT 2000

Sorry, I am a bit behind on some of the discussions.

Brian, DON'T use CAT5 cable for your voice and modem connections.  CAT5 cable
is the wrong impedence for this applications.  CAT5 is optimized for DIGITAL
data signals, not analog voice signals.

The acronym MODEM comes from MOdulator/DEModulator.  A MODEM is designed to
convert your digital data signal to analog voice signal BEFORE it sends it
over your wiring!)

I KNOW from experience that using CAT5 for analog is not a good thing.  It was
all I had late one night and I used it to wire temporary voice and data
connections and the modem has NEVER connected above 28.8k.  In fact, it
usually connects at 20- 22k.

In talking with some of my telco buddies (after the fact), they advised me to
replace the CAT5 stuff right away because it just isn't designed for that kind
of service.  (BTW, when the phone rings - there is a 90 volt AC signal across
red and green!  Even teflon coated plenum-grade CAT5 will generate spurious
signals in the other conductor pairs.)

Electronic Supply and your local Radis Shack have a really good quality 2 or 4
conductor twisted pair phone wire.  This is best for phone.  Save the CAT5 for
wiring up your ethernet network!  With a crimper and some CAT5 plugs, your can
make up your own jumper cables and save 10 or 15 bucks a pop!