LT: standardization

Ed Allen ed_allen at justlinux.com
Wed Sep 20 22:59:25 CDT 2000

This message was posted as a talkback at /news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-09-19-008-21-PS
>Currently, the GNU/Linux market is fragmented, with dozens of companies
>offering distributions that appear to be identical, but in reality are
>quite different from one another. In order to provide the stability and
>homogeneity that users desire, there will eventually have to be a huge
>consolidation or war of attrition in the GNU/Linux market. The companies
>that remain will likely spend a lot more money developing programs that
>differentiate their offerings from their competitors', which will
>ultimately drive up the price of a GNU/Linux distribution.

And this 'differentiate' is not more fragmentation how ?

I submit that what he calls 'fragmentation' *is* the differentiation he
expects and that so far, and in accordance with economics, prices for
Linux itself are still low.  Only when a distributor adds value by
building a distibution optimized for a special function, like an Oracle
server, can they persuade customers to pay more.  Ahh, competition
smells sweet and fresh after this putrid monopoly we have lived with for
years.

The "One True Way" leads to stagnation and the burden of supporting the
monopoly of whichever entity dictates that "Way".  I prefer the chaotic
behavior of the free market.  I had seen references to slaves asking to
be given back their chains after being freed but had no idea that could
still happen, I pity those who fear freedom.

>'The ultimate goal of any software development project is to gain market
>share-to have as many users as possible. Without users, a software
>product might as well not exist.'

This "market share" thinking ignores the concepts of growing the current
market and creating new ones by using Linux to do something which was not
possible before.

He talks about the poor documentation and ignores that if that is needed
then at least some new customers would be willing to *pay* for it.  Even
the FSF folks realize that manuals can be a revenue stream.

How much will developers pay for instructions about how Unix/Linux developers
have dealt with non identical systems for twentyfive years ?  Another
opportunity.  His article is full of them!