Cable Modem Setup - Can't seem to get a connection

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Tue Sep 19 05:06:16 CDT 2000

You appear to have a static IP address, dhcpcd and pump won't work.

In general, people normally set things up using subnet masks which
are consecutive ones, then zeroes (the RFC says to, in any case),
if your IP address is 24.183.100.120, a good guess at subnet mask
is 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.255.128.  I've normally seen that the
lowest address in the subnet is usually the gateway, in your case
24.183.100.1 .  If those don't work, I'm at a loss, too...

try:

ifconfig eth1 24.183.100.120
route add default gw 24.183.100.1 dev eth1

/etc/resolv.conf:

search home.com
nameserver 24.16.152.15
nameserver 24.16.152.17