Cable Modem Setup

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Mon Sep 18 04:22:15 CDT 2000

1: You don't have to run a proxy server, but if you want to run Junkbuster
or Squid (or both), they'll help speed things up by either blocking ads,
or remembering content locally.  I can help offline with junkbuster
proxy-ing.  I've never used Squid...

2: 'dhcpcd eth1'  Much easier than setting up windoze...

3. Gateway will be defined through eth1 for the firewall unless you want
to have a gateway into the internal network, but having everything on the
same subnet is usually much easier.  I use 10.1.X.X/16 (don't want to run
out =-)

You may want to set up some kind of caching DNS on the firewall, too.
Cable modem companies tend to use flaky OS's like windoze which crap
out once or twice a day.  Keeping your personal DNS preferences locally
can save a lot of headaches.

Hope you have fun with your new setup.

Regards,

Tony Hammitt