Brian's Stupid questions of the day

Brian Densmore bjdensmr at epsi.net
Sun Sep 17 07:06:58 CDT 2000

Tony,

  Thanks. I had downloaded both JFS and ReiserFS and haven't gotten around to
installing them on the Web-server. I will go with ReiserFS. Stability on that
box is absolutely essential, it will be a production box on the backbone (if I
ever get time to work on it!).
Regarding the second question my hosts file looks like this

172.12.41.1		Gandalf.ClanMurray.org	Gandalf
172.12.41.2		Galadriel.ClanMurray.org Galadriel
172.12.41.129		www.amason.net
127.0.0.1		Gandalf.ClanMurray.org Gandalf localhost.localdomain localhost
and the resolv.conf file is

search ClanMurray.org
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.x
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.x
where th x's are my ISPs DNS boxes. I don't know what to make of that first
entry. I suppose my problem is due to using two network names. But, I want to
make this box look correct to start up. I don't want to have to reconfigure it
at the hosting site. Any pointers here, or good references to search?

Thanks for your help,
Brian

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Tony Hammitt wrote: > IBM's
JFS is just starting being ported, but they have actual IBM > engineering
support, so it may not take long.  ReiserFS has been being > ported for longer,
but they don't have any really huge companies > doing all of the engineering
work for them, so it's taking longer. >  > Technologically, JFS is a very
standard high-end UNIX journalling FS. > It journals not only metadata like
what files are being changed and > which directorys have updated but also
journals the data that is > being changed as well.  They use a separate
partition(s) for the > journals, which can be pretty arbitrarily sized.
Usually you want > to have a mirror for the journal so if you lose your
journalling > partition's disk, you don't have to fsck.  Other than the journal,