Randy's Stupid Question of the day

Randy Rathbun randy at rrr.2y.net
Thu Sep 7 20:12:24 CDT 2000

Here is the deal - I have a web server set up here that has some virtual
domains on it. But I am having a problem that has been here since the
start but I just now decided to try to fix it.

The problem is with file permissions in the user's HTML directories. The
permission bits are not acting like I am wanting them to act. For example,
I have something like this:

rwxr-xr-x randy users /www/quitequitefantastic/
rwxr-xr-x randy users /www/quitequitefantastic/index.html

Now, when I go to update the index.html file, it turns into this:

rwx------ randy users /www/quitequitefantastic/index.html

Uh, no! That is not what I want! So, I have to go back in and change the
permissions back to what they need to be. This also happens if I create a
new subdir or new files.

So, my question is this: What am I doing wrong? I was under the impression
that any files/dirs created in a directory are supposed to pick up the
permissions of it's parent... or am I mistaken?

Signed,
conused as all get out

--

Randy Rathbun
randy at rrr.2y.net
http://rrr.2y.net

Oh, I've seen copies [of Linux Journal] around the terminal room at The Labs.
         -- Dennis Ritchie