Boot floppy

Ben Webb brwebb at transmuto.com
Thu Sep 7 02:45:30 CDT 2000

  ["that" = reconfigure lilo]

  Is the Win2K MBR a funky thing that "knows" where the boot files are
like lilo etc., and can't just load a the first sector from the partition
marked bootable?  If so, good thing that they have a Boot Mangler to
allow the existence of other OSes.

Yes.  It works just like NT 4

> Now when you wish to boot linux, just insert that boot floppy.  You

  Boot floppies are a pain in the butt.  Except on a firewall where write
protection is a security feature.

in what way are they a pain?  I use them on two computers (a laptop and a desktop) and I have had
excellent performance.  It allows me to easily switch kernels, try new things etc... while never
having to worry that I may have hosed anything.  When the kernel is booted it completely loads into
memory, so there is no performance  degredation or disk switching.  I'm not sure I understand the
part about write protection, I'm booting from floppy and my partitions all load rw.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Free internet access sucks.  I'll pay to NOT have ads shoved down my throat and to NOT be monitored.