Boot floppy

Ben Webb brwebb at transmuto.com
Wed Sep 6 21:57:40 CDT 2000

NO! Don't do that!!  It'll hose your Win2000 MBR. The easy thing at this point would be for you to

1)copy that kernel off of the floppy disk (you'll have to mount it...)
#cp /mnt/floppy/vmlinux /boot/floppykernel

2) set the kernel to use /dev/hda8 as it's root
#rdev /boot/floppykernel /dev/hda8
note - I'd double check that one... I'm doing this from memeory.

3) unmount the floppy and insert a new one (don't mount it)
   now copy the kernel out
#dd if=/boot/floppykernel of=/dev/fd0 /bs=8192

Now when you wish to boot linux, just insert that boot floppy.  You will NOT need to run lilo (or
any other loader) at all.  (note- I'm doing this on two computers currently, so yes it does work)

Ben

From: "Monty J. Harder" <dmonster at juno.com>

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 07:12:57 -0500 "Gene Dascher"
<gedascher at multiservice.com> writes:
> I booted up with the original installation floppy, and when it came
> to the
> boot: prompt, I typed vmlinuz root=/dev/hda8 and everything went
> just fine.

  Then all you have to do is check /etc/lilo.conf (make whatever changes
you need to reflect what Win has done) and rerun lilo [or grub, or
whatever....] and you should be able to boot without a floppy.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

"They that can give up liberty in order to obtain a little
                  -Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin R. Webb