still havin probs :)

Brian Densmore bjdensmr at epsi.net
Sun Oct 22 22:09:25 CDT 2000

Not a clue on the kernel panic.

You don't need to partition a 30 GB harddrive (in Linux), but on my 18 GB I did
this: primary partition 1 = /boot first @ ~64 MB  (overkill)
primary partition 2 = FAT        @ ~2 GB
ext partition 5 = FAT              @ ~6 GB
ext partition 6 = /usr              @ ~3 GB
extended partition 7 = /var     @ ~2.3GB
ext. part. 8 = /tmp                  @ ~2.3 GB
ext part. 9 = /home                @ ~2GB

so on a linux only you could substitute the two FAT partitions with one for
/opt & /usr/src

or you could  just do this
/ = 30 GB

personally I like seperation of file systems, because if some catastrophic
happens the /var or /tmp file system may become corrupt, but the /boot and /usr
file systems remain intact. So I can still boot and repair the damage, this has
saved my system more than once. One day soon I will get the "software" raid or
volume manager instaleed and configured (hopefully).

Brian