another newbie question

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Sat Oct 21 19:49:10 CDT 2000

This is getting kind of silly.  You can't buy an RS/6000 server
(or whatever they are calling them now) with just one PCI bus.
You can get 32 independant PCI buses on an IBM S80.  It is quite
possible to double the throughput of an RS/6000 just by
rearranging the disks, I've done it myself.  I'm sure that Sun,
SGI, HP and Compaq have the same thing.

My $180 PC motherboard has two PCI buses.  Any new mid-range
server has a better motherboard than that, I'd hope.  As I
mentioned, you can get a 4-bus 8-way Xeon box pretty cheaply
(compared to a commercial Unix box) nowadays.  Penguin
Computing sells these, so does VALinux.

The state of the art has moved on from just one bus per computer.
It did so a long time ago.

There is no point in discussing this further.

Regards,

Tony Hammitt

--
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -- Voltaire