another newbie question

Dana akadanak at kc.rr.com
Thu Oct 19 14:58:56 CDT 2000

My experiences,  FWIW

Some years ago - Redhat 5.2 - hard to install, couldn't
get much useful work out of it.
Last year - Mandrake 7.1 - Easy to install but unless
you really know what you are doing, hard to customize.
This year - freeBSD4.1 - Easy to install, easy to customize.
I downloaded the minimal download and am adding
packages one at a time to get exactly what I want.
I find BSD's port system to be much easier than Linux's
RPMs. YMMV.

So if you want to get to speed fast and don't really care
about the internals, I would say go with Mandrake.
If you are interested in getting into the whys and
wherefores then you might want to give freeBSD a look.

I hope it isn't too heretical to mention BSD in a Linux group.:)

Dana