another newbie question

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Thu Oct 19 00:14:08 CDT 2000

Er, Several issues here..

1. Why assume that you want to use RedHat?  If the latest version is
buggy, go with some other vendor.  Mandrake and SuSE are very good
as is Debian.

2. You do not have to ditch windows to use Linux.  If your video
editing software works under windows, then keep windows and install
Linux after repartitioning (using partition magic) or on another
hard drive.  $100 gets you 20GB of dirve space nowadays, why not go
that way?  You'll probably have to get a commercial Linux-based video
editing package if you want to do any serious work.  freshmeat.net
came up with this package, which costs $85:

http://www.mainconcept.com/products/mainactorLinux.shtml

Or, if you're an elite hacker, you could always help write an Open
Source video editing package for Linux.  We obviously need one.

3. You can check on hardware compatibility here:

http://hardware.redhat.com/

since this is really the drivers that are built into the 2.2 kernel,
it doesn't really matter that it's at RedHat's site.  I believe that
IDE raid controller support is going to have to wait for kernel
version 2.4, which most people report as being stable and usable but
your mileage may vary.

Raid in Linux is best accomplished by using software instead of
hardware, especially on a newer x86 box.  Software raid is much faster
than hardware, as well as being cheaper.  You would get a lot more use
out of extra main memory and processor speed that you can buy instead
of an expensive raid card.

Hope this helps,

Tony Hammitt

--
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -- Voltaire