Looking for Driver

Randy Reames rreames at freetobegeek.com
Sun Nov 19 20:11:09 CST 2000

Seems like 100 years ago, RTC, Jr said:

> Anyone:
>
>  Looking for LINUX (6.1) driver for Homefree Phoneline 10MBPS PCI card.
>  Using in home lan setup.  Contacted Diamond Multimedia and was informed they
>  have no drivers for LINUX for any of their products.
>
>  Thanks
>  Ronald
>  RTC, Jr.
>  http://www.ctechss.com

I found this from a Google search of your card:

<quote>
Haven't seen any direct support for any of the 10Mbps HPNA cards
available (3Com, LinkSys, Netgear, Intel, ...).  Broadcom makes
the controller chip that these NICs are based on.

1Mbps HPNA NICs based on the AMD controller (PCNet-Home) are supported
with the pcnet32 driver, starting with kernel 2.2.13.  I've tried
the Diamond HomeFree 1Mbps PhoneLine NIC, and a similar one from
ActionTec.  These were using a pcnet32 driver with LRP's
Materhorn release (Linux Router
Project, www.linuxrouter.org).	However, the driver doesn't support
switching between HPNA and 10BaseT (which the controller chip is
capable of doing).  The driver will come up with HPNA active, which
is OK for the two cards I mentioned above.

AMD has a Linux driver for NICs based on it's 1Mbps HPNA controller chip
that they advertise works only for RedHat 6.0.	I've tried it as well
on my RH6.0 system with the same two NICs above without problems.
Their driver also has the flexibility to configure for 10BASET or HPNA.
The driver is called pcnethme.	However, I didn't see the source code
for it.  It appears to be a pcnet32 variant, though.

Also, I haven't seen direct support for NICs based on Intel's 1Mbps HPNA
controller (the 21145, on Intel's AnyPoint 1Mbps NIC), although it seems that
there
may be hooks in the tulip driver source code, in the 2.2.14 release.
<end quote>

Hope this helps.
--
Randy Reames	      Webmaster 	 Debian User
http://www.unixreview.com     http://sysadminmag.com

Gimp and vi, all I really need.