Download Speed Discrepancy

Gene Dascher gedascher at multiservice.com
Wed Nov 1 13:56:38 CST 2000

	I am having an unusual problem.  Well, it isn't really a problem, but I
have been experiencing a HUGE discrepancy in throughput between Windows and
Linux boxes.  I have Comcast at Home running through a P166 with Red Hat 6.2.
I went to http://www.kc.rr.com/rrspeed.htm and here are the results:

Machine	RAM	OS		Throughput
-----------	-----	-----------	----------
PII 350	128	RH 6.2	2900Kbps-------	(Same Machine
PII 350	128	NT4.0(SP5)	1300Kbps-------/	 Dual Boot)
P 200		128	Win98		1200Kbps

	First of all, how accurate is the speed test?  I know it just sees how long
it takes to download an image file.

	Secondly, if it is fairly accurate, why is there such a big discrepancy
between Win & Linux, and is there anything that I can do to speed up the
throughput of my wife's machine (besides installing Linux on it!  I would
love to, but will have to wait for a while).

Thanks,
Gene Dascher