3/1/2000 meeting notes

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Thu Mar 2 18:53:11 CST 2000

At the meeting last night we talked about several things, but
had no real agenda.

A hot topic was high speed connectivity and its affect on local
telephone companies especially with respect to voice over IP on
Linux and those other OSes.  Some people had techniques for
hacking into their DSL and possibly cable modems for higher
bandwidth.

We also discussed the inadequacy of Linux documentation, the
outmoded and unmaintained forms of it like 'info' and manpages
for GNU tools.  This was regarding programming projects like
Hal's terminal/curses based gdb wrapper that looks like the
Borland(?) debugger.  Should be pretty cool when it gets done.

We had further conversations about groovy old equipment and
funny stories about  (mis)using it.

Several possible things to put on the website like KCLUG member
project links were talked about.

Current events like Novell porting NDS to linux and the IBM
S/390 port as well as things that went into the experimental
kernel like the logical volume manager and devfs (the device
virtual filesystem to replace /dev).  Ed explained the concept
behind the ReiserFS, i.e. that it is basically a database
pretending to be a filesystem and that it was designed to have
gobs of files in each directory.

Hal suggested some good programming books like those published
by W. Richard Stevens:

http://www.kohala.com/~rstevens/

That was about it.  I hope someone shows up to the next meeting
with questions/problems so we can help them out.  Newbies having
problems are missing a golden opportunity by not coming to the
meeting to get their Linux systems tuned.

Hope to see more people at the next meeting, maybe we'll have
more than one table in the room again =-]

Regards,

Tony Hammitt