NIC Setup

Squish squish at kc.rr.com
Mon Jun 19 22:57:55 CDT 2000

Since we are talking about NIC setups, I am having problems too.  I have
been able to setup my NIC before, but I attribute that to luck from using
linuxconf.  I upgraded to RH 6.2 in KDE mode.  I used insmod to initiate the
NIC.  I put in the info for default gateway, DNS, subnet. I'm kinda shaky on
what I put for hostname, domainname, and all that stuff since I know that
RoadRunner gives that to you when a call is made to their DHCP daemon.  My
question is that I can't remember where but I assume I have to put the IP
for the DHCP daemon someplace.  When I initiate the card setup I am able for
it to send packets on the network but eventually it times out and returns
initialization errors from reading the s10network script in the /rc3.d
directory.  Does anyone have an idea of my problem or do I need to provide
more info?
    Since I'm talking about problems, here's another I ran into last week
when setting 6.2 up. Before when I was using 6.1 I had no problem setting up
Xwindows (gnome) in 1024x768 mode.  I have a 32 meg Riva TNT2 and a 19"
ViewSonic A90.  When I upgraded to 6.2 I could only get it to run in 800x600
mode.  Why? When setting vid card settings there are a series of radio
buttons for amount of vid memory, 256K doubled up to 16MB.  The highest it
would let me allocate was 2MB.  If I tested with 4, 8, or 16 MB my monitor
would give an error of "out of range" (I guess their version of blue screen
of death). I tried messing with the refresh defaults in the monitor
identification in setup but I don't think that made a difference.  Anyone
have any thoughts on this?  I admit to being naive to multisync monitors
since I until recently started using them.
    BTW, I did go to The Computer Garage in Merriam yesterday.  Their 486
boards run around $40 but their AT cases are only $10.  I kinda went hog
wild and bought a 17" and two Mac SEs for $10 for the hell of it.  I've been
wanting to buy old Mac SEs and make bookshelves out of them. Otherwise a lot
of components cheap.  They're open Tuesday through Friday 10 to 6 and if I
remember Saturday 10 to 4.

Chris Mitchell
"You know the sheriff has his problems too,
he will surely take them out on you"
Warren Zevon, "Mohammed's Radio"