hmm...what the?

Edgar Allen era at sky.net
Sat Jun 3 10:45:29 CDT 2000

Michael Campbell writes:

>I don't think so, I did a custom install, and installed the dns, web, and
>ftp server rpms.  But I dont' think they are running.  how do i check?  what
>file would they be in?  i checked inet.conf, and commented everything out
>but telnet, and that didn't help.

You might try (as root):

    #> pidof named

If that returns a number then 'named' is running.  If a blank
line is retuned then do:

    #> /etc/rc.d/init.d/named start

Which will print either 'OK' or 'FAILED'.  If that gets OK then
you need to 'cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d;ln -s ../init.d/named S55named;
cd ../rc3.d;ln -s ../init.d/named S55named' so it will start automatically
during a reboot.

What was the result of the 'ping www.yahoo.com' ?