hmm...what the?

Edgar Allen era at sky.net
Fri Jun 2 21:14:05 CDT 2000

Michael Campbell writes:

>i tried doing that and it still happens.  i checked the file after
>connecting and it automatically adds my hostname to it.  would that be the
>problem?  i still can't open any programs after it connects.
>thanks,
>Mike

If you are not running a name server you could hang.

Are you running the caching name server which is one of the daemons
supplied with RedHat ?

The reason running either a full named or the caching server, I don't remember
its name at the moment, is a good idea is that they reduce the load
on your upstream provider and resolve your own names-->IP address lookups
faster. (You can visibly load web pages faster on a 56K dialup)