hmm...what the?

Evan evanh23 at usa.net
Thu Jun 1 23:02:46 CDT 2000

Edgar Allen <era at sky.net> wrote:
> Michael Campbell writes:
> >
> >what do you mean moade 0644?  chmod?  i use kppp to dial.
>
> The mode of a file is the octal number corresponding to its
> permission bits.
>
> When a number is seen by your shell, (command line), if the number
> starts with zero it is presumed to be octal instead of decimal.

while im pretty sure the octal thing is right, i dont think the
zero represents it (which it does in other cases) i believe the first
number corresponds to other file attributes...such as setuid
setuid being 'chmod 4xxx blah' also available are the sticky bit, setgid, and
others
(x windows uses sticky bit to speed things up...to see it in action, start X,
shutdown X, and then start it up again, compare the two startup times)
correct me if im wrong..(it's been known to happen ;) )

Evan Hoff
evanh23 at usa.net

For-pay Internet distributed processing.
http://www.ProcessTree.com/?sponsor=24599