Distributed.net OGR is back up

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Thu Jul 27 18:15:30 CDT 2000

Hi everyone!

To all those like me who weren't interested in helping with distributed.net's
(IMHO silly) RC5-64 string cracking challenge, you may be interested in helping
out with a practical, real-world effort.  distributed.net's 24-mark Optimal
Golomb Ruler project is back on line.  OGRs are good for radar arrays and other
efficiency-concious mathematical abstractions.

True, it took them 5 months to resolve an MSB/LSB inconsistency in their client
code but they've been busy with other things like apparently trying to prove
that RC5-64 is weak encryption by hooking up over 100,000 computers for about
5 years to crack one string.  Weak.  Yea, right.

So, what's the point?  Team KCLUG (search for Kansas, we're the only one) needs
more CPU cycles.  Yesterday we were ranked #252 out of 2785 teams.  Please help
out if you can.  Due to the power outage, I doubt we'll be ranked as high today.

Thanks in advance,

Tony Hammitt