FTP Install

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Thu Jul 13 23:18:53 CDT 2000

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Dale Beams wrote:

> Wondered if someone had attempted one directly from RedHats ftp site
> ... Do they allow this ?

There's no "allowing" involved -- it's anonymous FTP.  And yes, I've tried
it, and it's painfully slow, due to the congestion of the network and the
congestion of their FTP site.  A _far_ better solution is to download
their ISO from a mirror and either burn it or mount it on one of your
systems with anonftp set up (with 'mount -t iso9660 -o loop
/home/homer/whatever.iso /home/ftp/pub/RH') and then do a local FTP
install.

J.

| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "If Raymond is Pepsi, with fashionable  |
| Network Systems Management |  marketing, Stallman is the original    |
| Sprint Communications      |  Coke, and the choice of a Gnu          |
                             |  -- Lloyd Wood, on ESR and RMS          |