Logo suggestion

Monty J. Harder dmonster at juno.com
Fri Jul 7 03:23:47 CDT 2000

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 19:14:15 -0500 (CDT) Randy Rathbun <randy at rrr.2y.net>
writes:

> I would kind of like to see the KC part of the iron normal way, even
> if it
> is wrong - that is usually what they do in cartoons, or they show it

  =You= may do that if you wish.  (It only requires the skill to do a
horizontal flip - my kids were able to do that in MS Paint at age 5.)  I
will be happy to tweak the parameters of the branding iron to make it
clearer at lower resolution, use a different font, etc. but I will =not=
produce a dumbed-down logo to appeal to Marching Morons who don't get it,
or will I wear any garment displaying such a thing.  Anyone who can't
recognize the mirror image of the letters "KC" arranged as they are on a
Chiefs helmet or Royals cap is never going to be able to run Linux.

> Now, looking at Bradley's image, I like that better... just a bit
> more
> info. Could more flames be added though, to show a bit better that

  Yes.  More info and more size.  Works when you have the space for it.
Doesn't work in the space for a badge on a computer case (like Van Pelt
at LF2K), or probably the space available on a business card.  I was just
going with a minimalist Tux+this_is_what_makes_it_special formula, like
Mandrake's tophat and wand, or LRP's router (the kind you use to shape
wood, which means you have to =think= a bit about why Tux is holding this
thing in his han^H^H^Hflippers) the Ninja acoutrements of Linuxnewbie....

> Tux
> just made the KC? Maybe he needs a cowboy hat? Or would that be
> *too*
> cowtownish?

  Fire up your graphics editor of choice, and put a hat on him.  See what
he looks like.  Might make him less recognizably Tux at certain
resolutions.  Who knows?  LIS about the modified logo on the banner
(which had to be different to be rendered in solid colors of vinyl):  It
isn't all that important if there are different versions of the
arrangement of the K and C, which hand the iron is held in, etc.  We run
different distros, on at least 4 different architectures that I know of,
and even pronounce "Linux" at least 3 different ways!  As long as it is
Tux holding a branding iron that would produce a KC brand when applied to
cowhide, it gets the cowtown/bbq-capital spirit.

  Beats the hell out of arguing about whether to munge the Reply-To on
the list server.  Next we can go into the "Which distro is best"
thread....

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.