Meeting 07/05/00

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at askpioneer.com
Thu Jul 6 22:02:33 CDT 2000

Minutes of last night's meeting:

I didn't take any notes but, here goes.

First off, we discussed the shortcomings of Linuxfest 2000 and some of the
things we would like to change when/if we do our own show next time.  Here
is the short list of complaints:

1. Not enough publicity.
2. Expectations for numbers of people too high.
3. Net connection sucked/non-existent.
4. Vendors left early.
5. Need to fill spaces that are unsold or when vendors      leave.
6. Lots of noise when speakers were giving scheduled seminar/talk before
show actually started.
7. Not enough LUG involvement.  LOTS of area LUGs not contacted prior to
show.  See number one.
8. Show TOO long and wrong hours.

There are a few others I will add to this when I think of them or feel free
to add CONSTRUCTIVE comments to this thread.

Things to do to correct the above:
1. Do our own show/be more involved in planning.  In fact insist on it.
2. Oversell the show.  Book smaller venue than the high expectations warrant
or book a place with room to expand.  Put partitions in one side of room to
start and not have large open space.  Expand as needed.
3. Promote, promote, promote.  Advertise, advertise, advertise.  Sell, sell,
sell.
4. Have a two day show.  The second day will be big.
5. Set expectations lower.  200-400 people.  We can sell that to vendors or
just make it a big Demoday/Installfest.
6. Long-term planning from LUG members and involve other LUGs for
ideas/input.
7. Separate room for speakers.  Don't start speakers before show starts.

That's enough and I'm short on time.  Feel free to again add CONSTRUCTIVE,
non-flame comments.

Hal says he plans to contact the vendors that stayed through Linuxfest to
thank them for all their support.  He had the idea of getting some LUG
shirts printed with "I survived Linuxfest 2000" and sending one or two to
each.  Some LUG members may also be interested.

Next we talked about firewalls as I had my Linux Router there, although the
floppy image crapped out Monty had one with him and the system booted up.
As seen on the list it's a P-166 w/ 64 MB, a floppy and two 3Com 10 Mbps
NICs.  For the floppy image see http://www.linuxrouter.org and go download
the latest idiot image (that's what they call it).  Use rawrite to get it to
floppy.

Then we talked about the image Monty created for the LUG logo and getting it
up on the website.  Notice that Monty emailed it to the list last night or
this morning.  If anyone wants to create LUG business cards, flyers or any
printed material please try to be consistent with the logo if we are to
identify ourselves with it.

Next we discussed the planned installfest and demo meeting rotation
schedule.  We plan to have the first all install meeting on July 18, the
Tuesday meeting.  Everyone bring your latest CDs of whatever distro you
have.  Encourage people that would like Linux loaded on their box to come to
the meeting.

After this it's all a blur of conversation and my fingers hurt.

Later,
Brian Kelsay