BLOCK TOM MARGRAVE PLEASE]

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Jul 5 17:42:45 CDT 2000

Monty,

> Monty J. Harder [mailto:dmonster at juno.com] wrote:
>
> On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 23:31:53 -0500 I wrote:
>
> > The From header was NOT munged.  It originated with
>

>   OK.  We have a semantics problem.  When I send a message to
> the list, that is one transaction....
>

> > Yes, it did come from Lowell, the list certainly didn't type it.
>
> There are spambots that don't "type" anything, but nobody would
> seriously suggest that they don't originate mail.

But the list didn't originate the mail.

> > Majordomo is just another server in between Lowell and you, and
> > servers are only supposed to add a new received line at the top
> > of the email to indicate that they processed it.
>
> ...When it adds:

--- SNIP KCLUG signature block SNIP ---

> at the bottom, it has changed the message body.  When it
> sends x copies of the message back out, addressed To: the
> various members of the list, with the body change, it is
> sending a new message out, which is =actually= from the list
> server, not from the person who posted it to the list.  You
> think this "just another server", but I don't.

I think of it as a reflecter.  It is re-sending the original
email without changing the To:.  The To: is put on the at the
point of origin.  The ONLY header changed right here is
Reply-to.  The server also adds a received line. Yes, it adds
a sig-block on the end just like Juno.

> Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Juno changed the body to add this, but doesn't change the Reply-to:

> > For some advocacy see
> > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>

> <q>
> Reply-To munging does not benefit the user with a reasonable mailer.
> People want to munge Reply-To headers to make "reply back to
> the list" easy. But it already is easy. Reasonable mail programs
> have two separate ``reply'' commands: one that replies directly to
> the author of a message, and another that replies to the author plus
> all of the list recipients.  Even the lowly Berkeley Mail command
> has had this for about a decade.
> </q>
>
>   Well, there are several problems with this idea.  First, I
> don't see in the headers where the list recipients are listed
> (although the fact that the original message was to: kclug at kclug.org
> might allow a mail program to make some assumptions) but even
> if I did, if someone responded to a stale message by replying
> to the list of addresses that happened to have been subscribed
> at the time, they'd be including some who'd unsubbed later
> (perhaps to use a different account).

No there isn't a list of subscribers in the email.  The reply
button sends to the address in the Reply-to: line.  The replyall
button sends to the address in the Reply-to: line PLUS the address
in the To: line i.e. the list.  So, if we no longer munged the
Reply-to, pressing reply would go only to the original author,
while pressing replyall would also go to the list.  Pretty
easy if you ask me.

--- SNIP other advocacy link and response SNIP ---

>   So, in order to make it perfectly clear what is going on,
> I guess we need =another= header line, like "Reply-To-List",
> which would be managed by the list server itself.  Then all
> we need to do is get all the software to recognize and use
> it.... Geez.

The replyall button already does this, see above.

Hal Duston
hald at sound.net