Holy smokes -- blazing speed?

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Wed Jan 19 22:30:08 CST 2000

Hmm -- I think there is big issue here.  I'm sitting on this xDSL
connection, and I kind of like to watch what I'm getting for bandwidth
every now and then.   I run the test from this page:

http://computingcentral.msn.com/topics/bandwidth/speedtest500.asp

(DISCLAIMER:  I know this isn't exact . . . but it's a benchmark if nothing
else.)

Anyway, on my NT box I'm getting something like 96K/sec -- 786Kbps.  Not
bad I think . . I've see it higher than that before.   Next I download
VMWare for my Linux box and I notice it's saying something like 150K/sec on
the download.   That can't be right . . . so I go to the speed test link on
it.   (The normal link is
http://computingcentral.msn.com/topics/bandwidth/speedtest.asp, but it's
not pulling it up correctly . . . probably a javascript problem.)   Using
that 500k link
(http://computingcentral.msn.com/topics/bandwidth/speedtest50.asp for a 50K
test) I get back 156K/sec -- 1279Kbps.  I've tested them both several times
to make sure this isn't a fluke.

In a word . . . WOW!    Does anyone else have a similar story?   It's quite
interesting . . . I was reading on some tweaks for high speed connections,
but the tweaks were for Win 95/98 machines.  I was under the impression
that NT was already tweaked quite a bit for networking.   Could there be
some more to gain in my NT setup?   Or should I just put Samba on the Linux
box and use it for my meaty downloads?  <grin>

-- Bradley Miller