KCLUG?!?!?!

Mike Coleman mkc at kc.net
Wed Jan 19 05:36:14 CST 2000

Sam Clippinger <samc at silence.org> writes:
> Conversations, disagreements and even arguments attack the other person's
> _position_.  Flames attack the other _person_.

> "Repeat
> after me: Don't use Microsoft for anything that matters." (nonfiction; two
> separate posts contained these quotes)
>
> The first paragraph illustrates a disagreement.  The second illustrates flames.
> Though I'm positive the authors were not angrily typing those words or feeling
> at all militant about their positions, everyone with an email address knows
> there is a huge difference between the way words are _intended_ and the way they
> are _received_.  Had those words been directed at me, either in person or in
> email, I would have laughed in agreement and continued on to the next message.
> But because they were intended to tear down the accomplishment of someone who
> had obviously done the best they could, I was offended.

That comment (mine) was not intended as a personal attack nor to tear down
anyone's accomplishments.  I meant it as serious and literal advice (or
admonishment, if you like), from someone who's been around the block many
times.

I saw a copy of Windows (3.1 even) driving a data collection in a medical
environment not too long ago.  I do not doubt that decisions like this have
cost at least one someone their life already.

--Mike

--
Any sufficiently adverse technology is indistinguishable from Microsoft.