Distribution for diskette?

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Thu Jan 13 05:04:48 CST 2000

Hmm -- I have an interesting puzzle here.  I'm wondering how to make a
distribution that could allow a PC to boot up (preferably a laptop) and
then allow a person to capture values to a diskette that would be readable
on a Dos/Windows environment.   The reason -- I can use C (I'm thinking
this outloud, correct me if I'm wrong) to build a program to run on that
diskette and then I'll have a very slick/quick way of doing this.

The reason?  I'm working on a datalogger for my car, it'll sample from the
Map sensor, O2, RPM, etc... and I want it to store that data so I can
retrieve it on my regular computer to see what happens when.  (O2 sensor
goes to what reading under WOT in 3rd gear for example.)  I already have a
VOM (volt/ohm/meter) on my O2 . . . but this device I'm working on would do
things alot better.   Anyone have any suggestions/hints for a Linux powered
laptop compatible way of doing this?

Requirements:
  - Capture xx (whatever fits on disk) minutes(?) worth of readings
  - Read data from serial port at 2400 baud to give feedback on system
  - Have some sort of timer info, to correlate the RPM, MAP, O2, clutch,
etc....
  - Fit on a diskette (1.4Mb)
  - Linux based / written in C

Any help would be greatly appreciated!   Thanks in advance!

-- Bradley Miller