wierd feature, any ideas?

Altona Duston hald at sound.net
Thu Jan 13 03:34:30 CST 2000

Yes, this is a very ancient behaviour.  It goes
way back in unix to tty's when they really were
a tty (teletype)  Early ones did not have lower-
case characters, and so unix handled them by
ignoring case differences.  What is happening
is that when you login in with uppercase characters,
the login program is assuming that you are on
one of theses things, and issuing the appropraite
stty calls to ignore case.   If you know what you
are doing, then you can reset it back to the
normal behaviour using the appropriate stty
commands, don't have a man-page handy...
Something like
stty -iuclc -olcuc -xcase
should restore it.

Hal Duston