Y2K Glitches

Smith, Mark W. Mark.Smith at umb.com
Fri Jan 7 17:52:59 CST 2000

Had 2 programs on my home NT PC die. The Windows based newsreader I used,
Agent 1.5, wouldn't update the groups list after the first of the year. Went
to Forte's site and they had an upgrade out there for it. I had heard 1.6
was buggy so I didn't ever upgrade. They had v1.7 out. I had heard that it
was out but just didn't bother upgrading. They didn't specifically state
that 1.5 wasn't Y2K ready but they DID mention that 1.7 was. I downloaded
and installed the upgrade and all was well. Also an auto-dialer app didn't
work. An upgrade at the vendor site fixed the problem.

Here at the bank we didn't have any problems. Well, haven't yet anyway.
There's still a lot of month-end, quarterly and annual processes that
haven't run yet but I do believe that any problems we have may will be
little ones. It'll just be catching them before they send someone a bill for
a 100 years worth of interest on a loan or something like that. The
management has been bragging about being Y2K ready for 18 months publicly
but sweating bullets privately. There was a LOT of money spent on recoding
COBOL apps and buying new LAN hardware and software over the last couple of
years though. Guess it paid off.

There was ine amusing Y2K story here. We have video monitors is a cafeteria
with a feed from CNN that comes in to an NT server and are distributed
through the enterprise from there. As hard as it is to believe, the box has
a memory leak in it that requires a daily reboot. (I know. I've never heard
of having to reboot an NT box either.) It is scheduled to reboot at midnight
everynight when few are working. Well, there was a full contingent of people
in working at the stroke of midnight on Jan 1st. Most were just sitting
around and waiting for mainframes to explode or something. While they were
waiting, they were in the cafeteria watching the New Year's festivities on
TV. Well, guess what happens at the stroke of Y2K. The box that feeds CNN
rebooted and all monitors in the place go black. You could have heard a pin
drop in a room full of 150 people. Finally, the lady that maintains that
box, remembered that the box reboots every night and everyone had a good
chuckle.

There were a few problems out there though. Most appear to be just
displaying dates incorrectly.
The following URL is a website of some screen captures of websites with
initial problems. (Note the US Naval Observatory site right after midnight)
http://go.to/y2kmistakes