Linux Demo Day Event

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Fri Feb 18 14:49:40 CST 2000

Congratulations to everyone who made the Linux demo day a success!   Now we
need to build upon this momentum and get some more structured events and
meetings going whether they be KULUA or KCLUG, whatever.   Right now from
what I've seen of the KCLUG group, the primary thought is we don't need any
structure and there isn't enough people to do anything.    WRONG!

I'm a car fanatic -- love them, and especially I have a soft spot for
Carroll Shelby's Dodge influenced cars and the ones he built.   Our car
club is small, but it's international.  (Yes, we can say that -- we're not
only in Canada but other continents as well.)   The core group that does
all the planning and hard work consists of maybe 5 people.  I, for one, run
the web site and newsletter for the club.  Our site gets over 9000 users
across it a month.  Not a bad number for a specialized marque such as this.
 (For reference, Shelby only put out 500 Omni GLHS cars the first year,
1986.)

Another example -- the SuperCruise car show held in Jefferson City, MO.  My
uncle works at that and they have over 400+ cars every last Saturday of the
month.   There are only 7 people that put on that show.

My point?   Whatever we are doing we need to have some type of structure
and some goals to achieve.   Our Shelby club's focus is the newsletter --
it's what makes the club what it is.  The same niche needs to be covered by
a Linux users group.   I'm not opposed to even having a membership fee so
that we can provide something back to the club or organization.

Again -- these are just my thoughts.   If you don't agree with them . .
.well that's good.  As a friend of mine told me, if you don't have
disagreements you don't have a solid organization.   There will always be
disagreements, but getting past the personal issues to deal with the matter
at hand is the important part.

-- Bradley Miller