Printing questions

Brian Kelsay ripcrd6 at worldinter.net
Thu Feb 17 16:49:25 CST 2000

The problem with this theory is that  the HP 700 series ARE Winprinters.
They are crippled like your Winmodems.  They can be made to work, but they
suck even under Windows.   There is a logic controller, memory or something
that is missing from the printer that makes it cheaper (by about 20-$50).
I've had to set up and troubleshoot several of these pieces of crap here
and they are nothing but trouble.   The program that processes your print
jobs can max out a 200-233 MHz processor w/ 32MB of Ram.   Big deal you
say, well that can be a standard for what hardware some secretaries get.
I've had to thoroughly explain the problem w/ these printers to mgmt.
several times to get them to buy a better model.   I think they finally get
the idea.   Now if they will just get rid of the winmodems.  Sheesh.
/Rant
By the way I've heard that someone is working on the 700 (710, 712,
722)series printers under Linux and have some success with Ghostscript.
Brian
Former Y2K Flunky
Sign the Linux Driver Petition
http://www.libranet.com/petition.html