Printing questions

Gene E. Dascher gedascher at multiservice.com
Thu Feb 17 14:11:04 CST 2000

 > > AFAIK, in order to create a "WinProduct", you have to make a
> > peripheral that converses with its driver via an unpublished
> > interface/language, then only produce drivers for it that run in
> > Windows.  To the best of my knowledge, HP cannot do this.  They have
> > very carefully crafted an interface language called PCL (Printer
> > Control Language) that they use to control their printers.

	If you look out on HP's site in the specs for the HP722C, you'll see that the printer does
not even have any fonts on board.  For
Bitmapped Fonts, it says "None, font support via Windows", and the same thing for Scalable
Typefaces.  For Print Languages, it has
something called "Printing Performance Architecture", whatever that is.  Other printers list PCL as
the printer language, but not
this one.

	I was young an naieve when I bought this printer.  I will do better next time.  I PROMISE.
I think I'll try out the 812C and let
everyone know how successful I am.

THanks for all the input,
Gene Dascher

BTW, good luck tonight.  Sorry I can't be there, but I'll be thinking about y'all freezing your
butts off for the Open Source
movement!