Printing questions

Altona Duston hald at sound.net
Thu Feb 17 05:55:55 CST 2000

But according to ftp://ftp.sbs.de/pub/graphics/ghostscript/pcl3/pcl3.html
the cdj850 driver DOES support most of the features of the 692C.

The main features of hpdj are:

     Extensive user documentation
     Support for different printer models. The driver has special knowledge about
all series-500 and some series-800 HP
     DeskJets, plus generic support for other PCL-3+ printers.
     Variable resolution
     Variable print quality (draft, normal, presentation)
     Variable media type (plain paper, ..., transparencies, ...)
     Monochrome, CMY, CMY+K and CMYK printing
     Support for the hardware part of HP's Color Resolution Enhancement technology
(C-REt)
     Page counting across invocations (useful to determine ink costs per page; the
distribution also contains an example of a
     BSD spooler input filter using this feature to collect data for user-specific
print accounting)
     Open to the usual device-specific configuration in PostScript (e.g., transfer
functions and halftone screens)
     More support for media handling than usual in almost all ghostscript drivers
(recognition of media sizes from the
     document, adaptation to landscape orientation as required by the PostScript
language definition).

hpdj does not support different resolutions for black and CMY colorants, i.e.,
there is no combined 600 ppi black + 300 ppi
CMY mode, and it does not support photo cartridges.

Hal Duston
hald at sound.net
Boring is good.
A conformist in a nonconformist world.