Networking question

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Tue Feb 15 19:11:05 CST 2000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Bradley Miller wrote:

> The networking cards issue is another one of those "ammunition" things for
> Windows users.  Why should someone have to spend 2x on a product just
> because they can't get Linux to work with a $20 card.  I had two generic
> NE2000 type cards sitting here and they worked fine in Windows boxes but I
> had to finally give up on using them in my Linux box(es).  I realize there
> are a lot of PNP issues, but how difficult does it *have* to be.   We can
> point the finger at manufacturers for many problems and proprietary issues
> that lock up the market for WinModems/WinPrinters/etc.   I know it's going
> to be frustrating to new users coming in and realizing that they'll have to
> be a hardware/softare genius to make a $20 card work, but a $65 card will
> work with no problems.

  I don't know about everyone else on this list, but I've *NEVER* put a
card purchased for more than $20 in a personal machine of mine.  I've had
the same NE2000 for like 2 years in both FreeBSd and RH Linux.

  We're close to where you can just by any old hardware and it will work
under Linux, but you just have to do your homework and make sure whatever
you are buying is supported before you take it home. It's as simple as
that.