Cable Modem and DSL - help!

Pat Miller pert at tas-kc.com
Tue Feb 1 00:34:25 CST 2000

Chris Midkiff wrote:

<snip>

> then you have the problems (mentioned below) with broadcasting local
> traffic as well as local name resolution problems.  Since roadrunner
> uses dynamic addressing, you can't even use a host file for internal
> name resolution.  (Also makes it a pain to host a page, which was
> probably their intent.)

There are ways to do some naming with dhcp -- atleast 2 companies have
services where your machine checks in when it is on & tells the current
ipaddress --

Some say you are not supposed to use this.... but that is why I don't
like flat rate services. I paid for my link and if you want to give me
all this then your loss. -- In the days of dial up I would not sign up
with a flat rate company (just made sure usage was reasonable -- 300
hours is more than I will use)

For data I don't know what it would be, but a couple gigabytes sounds
good.