Cable/DSL dilemma

Kendric Beachey ak at kc.rr.com
Fri Dec 22 15:49:35 CST 2000

I too have an old clunker 486 set up like Gerald, which I use as a gateway to
Road Runner.  I've got no clue about how long I keep the lease; I guess for
now I'm not paying attention to it.  :-)

I should mention that the gateway machine runs the ThinLinux flavor called
Edge Router, which you can find at http://edge.fireplug.net

Edge is set up to fit on one floppy disk (specially formatted to hold 1760
kilobytes).  My clunker doesn't actually have a hard disk.  That enabled me
to save some money on parts when I put the thing together.  Booting from
floppy does take a few minutes, but after that everything's done in RAM, and
I've never been able to choke the thing with too high a speed.  200 kilobytes
per second, up and down, is not at all uncommon.

Lastly, here's a page where you can check your download speed, although if
you're not a Road Runner customer, some of the latency of the net will be
figured in:  http://www.kc.rr.com/rrspeed.htm

--
Kendric Beachey
ak at kc.rr.com