Cable/DSL dilemma

Chris Mitchell cmitchell at kc.rr.com
Fri Dec 22 13:15:56 CST 2000

Has anyone here been successful with subnetting their own network with a cable modem connection?  I
have not tried yet but am skeptical since it is a dynamic IP. Heck I haven't even bothered to
figure out how long the lease life is on an IP that RR leases on it's network.  Does anyone know
that?  I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the lease life was, say, 75 days.  Anyway I have been
tempted by the fruit of DSL with Futurenet but am skeptical of performance because their
competitive package's bandwidth for transmitting is 128K (download is around 600K).  I like doing
the online gaming thing and heard complaints from DSL users.  I smoke with my cable connection,
granted I am fighting for bandwidth and don't have a dedicated connection to a switch.  Anyone know
of a program that gives upload/download speeds on a network connection so I can check my cable
connection?

Chris Mitchell
bonovox at kc.rr.com
squish362 at yahoo.com