big oops!

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Tue Dec 19 03:17:34 CST 2000

I think 'anacron' runs the weekly log rotations, but I've never fully understood
how it works or where all of its config files are.  I've also seen log rotators
seriously go nuts on Mandrake systems, like making a _bunch_ of small or zero-
length files in /var/log/mail and /var/log/news.  I don't even have sendmail or
inn installed on those boxes (firewall and laptop) so I deleted the directories.
Sure, now it bitches that they aren't there, but it doesn't create 115000 files..

Some of anacron's files are in /etc/cron.*/ but there seem to be other files
elsewhere, at least what it does doesn't seem to be covered in those directories.

Anacron is supposed to run things even if the system was powered down when it
was supposed to run them originally, unlike cron which just skips those.

Hope this helps,

	Tony

mike neuliep wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm in the process of setting up webalizer for the kclug website and have ran
> into a wierd problem.  It goes something like this:
>
>         - logs in /var/log/apache seem to be rotated once a week
>         - logs are only compressed but never deleted
>         - there is nothing in the /etc/cron.weekly addressing apache
>         - there is nothing in the /etc/logrotate.conf file either addressing it
>
> So the big question is what is rotating the logs?  It might not be a big deal but
> I wanted them to only rotate once a month, not once a week.  KCLUG.org runs
> on debian 2.2 with all the updated packages.  Any ideas??
>
> ps - webalizer stats starting from this afternoon are on
>
>                 http://www.kclug.org/stats
>

> --Mike

and: