new partition

Monty J. Harder dmonster at juno.com
Thu Dec 7 16:01:45 CST 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 14:27:50 -0600 Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at askpioneer.com>
writes:

> I think that maybe only the physical partitions, not the logical,
> could be
> bootable (until recently the 1024 cyl rule), but I am probably wrong
> here.

  Depends on the MBR.  With a DOS/Win MBR, you're correct.  But a LILO
MBR knows how to find the rest of the boot loader even in a logical
partition.  It is possible to put LILO in the boot record of a primary,
and allow the old-fashioned MBR pass execution there, but not necessary,
at least until you re-install Windows, and it rewrites the MBR to suit
its fancy without so much as a by-your-leave.  Keep that boot floppy
handy in such cases.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.